Friday, March 16, 2007

Hello from Sabana de la Mar!

Here I am... at my new home for the next 4 weeks. I have been here, in Sabana de la Mar for a week already. I cant believe it! Its a small pueblo. Dirt roads, people riding horses and donkeys, small markets, and its right on the bay. its a cute pueblo, but definitely small. The bay is known for its Whale watching. We just missed the season though. It has been a crazy week. We have 4 hours of Spanish class a day and 4 hours of training. 3 days a week that training includes our internship in the schools. I am in a 3rd grade classroom. It is about 15x20 ft and has 42 students ages 8-12. There is a set of brothers (3) in my class-8, 9, and 11. Crazy.Most of the students dont know how to read or write. Its really hard and such a huge contrast to the states. But Im loving. There is no confidentiality... teachers will just point or make students stand up and tell you that he or she is stupid/dumb/cant read or write. Its hard and definitely pulls at my heartstrings, but I LOVE it. I get so many hugs from the kids and its great that they are so interested in me and Im hoping comfortable. I absolutely adore them and am loving being in the school. I was itching to get there. My school is a 4 room building with an outhouse, no electricity, and no materials. You definitely have to be on your toes at all times.
I am living with a really nice family. My Doña is great. She is always cooking and gets mad at me for not eating like a Dominican. I have yet to understand a single word my Don has said to me. I have a brother, 10, and sister, 13 who are funny. They dont really speak too much to me, but usually just watch everything I do. Last weekend my Doña and Don took me out to their farm to see the cows and chickens. So exciting. If I never saw another chicken or rooster in my life, Id be a happy girl. There are about 100 chickens in my backyard and a rooster. I hear the rooster crowing about once an hour all night long. And he is used in cock fighting, so it has not feathers on its lower half and looks hilarious. After lunch yesterday my sister told me that the dad wanted to show me something, so I followed him down the road to an open building. I looked in and he put his rooster down and there was another rooster there. it was a mock cockfight. I hated it. Its so vicious and there was blood everywhere. But its all part of the Dominican Experience.
I am always being told that I am too skinny and that I need to eat more because surely my boyfriend doesnt like me being small, hes too big and strong for such a small girl... Dosent he wants me to get fat and strong? Its quite amusing to me.
Tomorrow we are taking an adventure to Parque Nacional Los Haitises. Hopefully Ill get some good pics of that up afterwards.

Im doing well, eating lots of rice and beans and yucca, working on my tan, and practicing my Spanish and loving the PCT life. Life is flying by... I cant believe Ive been in country for a month now! Ive learned so much already... I cant even imagine what more is to come.

Ill soak up the sun and warm weather for all of you back home who are getting hit with snow and sleet right now:)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It is great to hear of your new adventures. I am very proud that you are my daughter (and just as proud of Laura, Jonah and Noah). You are gaining a trememndous experience that you will have forever plus you are being a good example for the people in the DR. I am a little sad about some of the living conditions, food, chicken fights, etc. but you will atke that all in and make it into something for new memories. Mom told me that you started teaching a class when the teacher was absent. Good leadership abilities (it must be frog dna)! Keep us informed. I think Mom has about 20 boxes of pencils, paper and crayons coming - one small mailer bag at a time. Love you.

Laura said...

Mi Herminata-
I saw on someone elses blog that you had a cockroach in your mosquito net!! What did you do?? Well i hope your having fun still. Dont let them stare to much when you call.
Love,
tu herminata

Abby - Jo said...

Leah- Bird!!!
I am finally catching up on all your blogs. Unfortunately, I had no internet on my last trip to the midwest. You sound wonderful and I love reading about all your adventures. I think about you daily....you best be soaking up those sun rays for me! I barely made it out of North Dakota - the plane took off in 4 feet of snow though...people were stranded for days even here at Regan in D.C.!! Last trip though Bird- I am done. I gave notice of my last day (May 9th) I love you sooo much. Keep posting! Will speak to you soon hopefully :)

Unknown said...

Hey girl! Hope all is well in the DR! Just wanted to say hello and that I hope you are having the time of your life. We are both in our 1st year of teaching... only I don't really deal with chickens as much! I'm so proud of you! Sending all my love to the DR!

Love,
Kris

josephine said...

Love to look at pictures of you on other people's blogs - you do look happy. Everyone at school asks about you constantly! Miss you but I know you are where you are meant to be! Love you sweetie! Soak up some rays for me and some hugs from the children.

jonah said...

Forgot to tell you this, my roommate Allison had some friends up a few weekends ago and we were all sitting around talking and this one girl starts talking about 'stoga. Her name is Alex, forget the last name, but you two know each other, and see is currently working at CHS in special ed.

Keith Kohr said...

Hi stranger:)