Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Staging Packet... wow, this is for real

I have been wishing away time for the past 2 months, and now that I have less than a month until staging (orientation) I am amazed at how fast the time is going. I am overwhelmed with the little things I need to do, and keep putting off, people to visit and say goodbye to, and a life to organize as I leave and a life to prepare for ahead of me.

I finally received my Staging Packet... it includes all the information about where and when I will have the orientation and what will be discussed, flight information from the US to the DR, and a packet for family about the typical stages a volunteer goes through and what to expect. I am a bit speechless right now as all the information I have read is being processed. My staging is in DC for 2 days (Feb 13-15). It will be interesting to see how 35 of us will dress comfortably during staging for the colder weather when all we will have will be clothing for 85 degree weather.

Packing. How do you pack for 2 years??? Seriously, how do you cram all your stuff into baggage that is allowed to weigh at most 80 pounds? And what do you take? Of course I am thinking that I can take basically everything I own. I have to keep in mind that I have to be able to manage any bags I bring... which makes me think of Keith and Chris hiking the AT this summer and having packs that weighted 30 pounds and those being heavy! So far here is a general list of what I am bringing:
-Clothes (both professional and casual)
-shoes (sneakers, flats, sandals, dress sandals)
-pictures
-a blanket that converts into a pillow
-can opener
-peeler
-frying pan
-ziplock bags
- the best book... "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her"
-iPOD
-Camera
-travel sewing kit
-Head Lamp and flashlight
-Nalgene
-pocket knife
-umbrella and rain coat (Hello rainy season and hurricanes)
-World map and map of Namibia
-Cards
-Books
-Stationary
-alarm clock
-duffel bag and backpack as checked luggage and a bookbag as my carry on
-Sunglasses
-Cowboy hat (I live in this thing) and baseball hat

So that was a bit more detailed. Its a start and I know it will be ever changing between now and the 13th.

25 days and counting...

1 comment:

Keith Kohr said...

Hello there goodwoman, and I must say you have a good looking blog running. Thanks for the shout out as well. I look crazy in that pic from the trail, but I suppose I was. Its great to read some more details about your preparations, you will do great. Hope to talk with you soon!! love, me