Saturday, January 6, 2007

36 days



36 Days until I leave! I have had the count down for awhile now... I think since the day I received my invitation back in November. Anxious is definitely what I am currently feeling. I am so ready to go and get my life with the PC started. With that excitment also comes the nervousness. I am going into a situation and have no idea what to expect. But that is not deterring me at all. I am ready to dive into this adventure head first!
The big question I have been getting since I decided to apply to the Peace Corps is "Why?". And I say, why not? Im young. I want to travel. Ill learn a new language and live in a culture completely unlike my own. I am going to learn so much and grow through this unbelievable experience. Its my big adventure, and I have always wanted to have one before I settle into a typical job and routine. Its an experience of a life time! Plus its different, and I like to do things on the road less traveled.
I was involved with an incredible organization at JMU called Community Service Learning(www.jmu.edu/csl) and became very involved with their Alternative Spring Break program. My advisor with ASB is an amazing woman who I greatly admire and has been my mentor and really inspires me. The trips I took were incredible... out to Kansas City to an Abused Womens Shelter, to Myakka River State Park in Fla, and to Biloxi MS and The Kiln MS for Katrina Relief. I caught wind of PC working in the CSL office and began to research it my senior year of college. I put the idea on the back burner because I knew I was going to grad school. Fast forward to Dec 2005... I fill out my application for the PC, turn it in a month later, was interviewed in March, and received my invite to serve in November! So its been a solid year for this whole process.
I have an incredible family (mom, dad, noah and kathy, jonah, and laura... Love you guys!) and friends who have supported me and put up with my rantings and ravings! And I have the most amazing boyfriend, Keith, who is always encouraging me. He is currently a Peace Corps Volunteer (Congrats! He just finished his training and was sworn in on 1/05/07) in Namibia and will be teaching secondary math. He is doing really well and loving every moment of it. Check him out, if he ever updates www.namiblife.blogpsot.com

Thats it for now.... until next time

2 comments:

jonah said...

I am the tallest one in the family!

suzanne said...

hi leah! Nice pics!!