Friday, June 15, 2007

Stars in my room






Ive always been afraid of all the insects and bugs here. I sleep under my mosquiterro religiously and wear bug spray 24 hours a day. They are huge and scary and bit. Not to mention I do not want The Big D! (Dengue). But last night I was up, unable to sleep because its so HOT and humid, and I saw little flickers of light going on and off on the roof my house. Now I say roof of the house because no walls meet the roof so there are huge gaps between the walls and ceiling. Anyway, all over the roof there were these little flickers of light and for a moment I thought I was seeing the sky, but it was the flier flies. It felt like stars flickering so close to me, and I had a front row seat. It was pretty cool and for some reason at that moment it was very relaxing. I think those types of bugs I can deal with.

Its been a good week... well, its been entertaining. I went to visit Lori out in Luperon and had a fabulous time! She lives in a beautiful town on the ocean with mountains surrounding 3 sides and the water on one. People in her town are so nice. Shes got the life. Anyway... I arrived in her town and we visited a friend of hers who has internet and I was able to use some FREE internet! You all don't understand that importance of this. Internet and free in the same sentence is amazing. I surprised Keith and was able to talk to him for almost an hour! Even if our connection wasn't the best, it was amazing to talk to him for so long and really have a conversation that lasted for more than 2 minutes. He sounded great. After talking to him Lori and I met up with a friend of hers and we went horseback riding for 4 hours all along the mountains on either side of her town and through her town. It was sooo beautiful! But I think that I am still a bit sore from it. It had drizzled a bit on one of the climbs up a mountain, but it was so worth it. When we got to the top there was a rainbow over her town. It was beautiful. We also got in some beach time, which I am burnt from. But over all it was a relaxing and much needed trip. (Thanks Lori!)

School is out. No students. No work. No nothing. I am reading books like crazy. My family thinks that reading will make you go crazy, so they are always saying something to me as i sit out front in my rocking chair reading. But I love it. My family is crazy as ever. I dont even know where to begin with more Dominicanisms... Ill make a list later on. I just found out that the coffee that I am obsessed with is made by my Dona! They have land out in the mountains and coffee plants. Every so often the beans are collected and she dries them, roasts them, then mashes them up into coffee grinds and makes it in her crazy little coffee maker thing... which I cant even begin to explain. Ill have to post a picture. Im eating Mangos like crazy. i think there is a good chance that i will turn into one. Everyday someone is bring me a bag of mangoes. They are just so good and sweet. I love it. Plus its the only fruit I am eating. My diet here consists of: rice, beans, and every manner of cooking bananas and plantains (boiled, fried, or ripe). Its such a deliciously bland diet.

Im off with a friend now to eat some lunch and what not... anything besides rice and beans. Im thinking some American fast food will be great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah! Sooo happy we got to talk on the phone yesterday :) So good to hear your voice! Your pictures are beautiful. I will call you tomorrow. Love and miss you!!! xoxo