Monday, June 4, 2007

Long Over Due....

Hello! Its been awhile... I guess the lack of a post kinda signifies whats been going on and how Im feeling here... which isnt too much. So on with the updates.

Sabana-Yes, of course Im going to start with her. She is definitely Dominican. She eats more rice and beans and fried salami than I do. She is a begger and my Doñas little girl. My doña feeds her nonstop and I am always getting yelled at for not feeding her, even though I have cat food out for her. She needs real food according to my doña. My doña also talks to her like shes a little girl. I was in the kitchen the other day and my doña was telling my cat that thats not how little girls behave and she needs to stop. If you have a cat, you need to buy a mosquito net. It is the best toy I have ever seen. Besides the massive holes I can foresee... Sabana is loving it. I woke up the other day to her sound asleep on top of the net hanging down just over my face. She is always climbing and playing into... usually getting so tangled up I have to get her out. And speaking of climbing... she loves tress. She climbed up a tree the other dya and onto the roof of the house and got stuck. Some of the neighborhood boys went to rescue her. Besides that she is always getting into trouble and running into things and falling off of things. Not quite cat like, but always entertaining.

Me- Where to begin. I was on the phone with mom the other day and it was barely raining. I mean a few sprinkles here and there. My doña comes out from the house and puts a shower cap on my head and walks away. Yes, a shower cap. Like that is going to protect me from all the horrible illnesses that are in the rain according to her. Oh the things she says. Sometimes I have to just walk away before I laugh. Its our rainy season now and along with it comes the craziness. I have 3 little nephews at my house... 3, 4, and 6. It was pouring the other day, I mean POURING, and the 3 of them come running out of the house and hide along side this garage type thing. Next thing I know my doña comes running out of the house whipping her belt over her head with some sort of plastic lid over her head. She chased the boys up and down the street for what felt like forever yelling something at them. It truely was a sight out of a movie. The insects are insane. They are HUGE and every where. I have to put on bugspray even before I get into the shower. And the spiders are freaking scary. The biggest things I have ever seen adn they always show up unexpectedly in places I dont want... like in my helmet when I was about to put it on. My doña isnt the only crazy one... so is my don. He doesnt eat his food unless is prepared and on the table with a spoon in his dish. We all sat down at the same time and ate and finished before he even began, on time. He didnt eat because he didnt have a spoon, and the spoon was in the container infront of him. Its interesting. ANd he always tries to spoon feed me his half eaten food. It doenst matter if I am at the table or outside, he always comes to find me.

School- school is interesting. Its a place with a ton of problems and lack of respect for anyone. I am really struggling with what my purpose is here. I have a big need in me to teach... to have a room and my students that I know Ill see every day at this time, and thats not what Ill be doing here. I have observed tons of classrooms adn tested tons of students. I know what the needs of the school and I know what needs to be done... its just a matter of talking people into beliveing me. I began my week a few weeks ago with a teacher slapping a student so hard he bled. The interesting part is that she was accusing him of not respecting her, and he was explainging his side of the story when she hit him. Nothing has been done to punish her even though its illegal here to hit students. Even though that is one teacher and one example... thats really shows so much of what goes on. I was working with one student who did a great job and I put my hand out for a high 5 and said ¨dame 5¨(give me 5!) The boy was nearly in tears as he said ¨pesos? I dont have 5 pesos¨I had to let him know i didnt want his money. It was a sad but hilarious moment.

So those are just a few quick updates. This week is the last week of school, then next week begins testing. Im kinda at a lost of what I should be doing now, but thats ok. My plans for the summer are to do some one on one tutoring wiht some students who really need it, to help out another PCV with some of her teacher training for a week, and just to do some resting and relaxing and visiting. Im heading into the capital this weekend for some work and a mailcall! Im desperate to get some mail. Its been over a month since Ive been able to check my mail. So it will be a welcomed break and trip.

Happy belated birthday mom! I love you!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Leah,

Keep your head up! If anyone can make changes down there, it's you. I believe in you and that spirit of yours! Just keep following your heart and shining like you always do. People will believe you because of your sincerity and authenticity. Love you girl!

Melissa

MeghanKathleen said...

[[Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson after.]]

I hope that quote is of some encouragement. You're going to make BIG things happen over there, I know it!

xo,
Meghan (a la the blue house).
:)

jonah said...

dude i got an apartment. we are moving all week so I don't have much time to call, but I will get photos up soon and maybe call you next week. (your cool brother)