Monday, June 25, 2007

goats, people, gua guas, Oh My!

So... I was on the gua gua (which is the bus here but its not really a bus, its a van type thing that has 12 seats yet somehow no less than 24 people will fit in it) going into the city when all of a sudden this horrid noise echoed 
throughout the entire gua gua. I jumped and turned to see what it was... and what did I find? 
A guy with 4 goats tied up sitting behind me. Yes. Goats. On public 
transportation. Going into the city. Do you know what a goat sounds like, 
because I surely did not and it scared me. It is a terrible cry. But no one else saw 
anything wrong with this so I just passed it off as just another interesting 
experience in the DR .

I spent the weekend in Sabana de la Mar visiting Robyn. This is where I had my CBT for 5 weeks. It was so good to go back and visit. I saw some old friends, stayed with my old host family (where Robyn is actually living now), and saw 2 other volunteers. It was an awesome weekend. Sabana I think is my favorite town in the DR. Its such a friendly and comfortable place to be. And the people there are so nice. Plus, when you have a hostess like Robyn, you know its going to be great. (Thank you Robyn! You are the best!)

Thats it for now... I dont have anything profound. Just goats, people, and gua guasIm still in shock that I experienced it. A very profound thought for the day. Public transportation in the states gets better by the minute.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Leah,

Yesterday I got my stripes and today was my first day wearing them for Summer Springboard! AMAZING! I feel you with me all the time. Each morning, during the welcome, they show the "Be the Change" video and you are in it as a FROG! So, everyday as I start my day, I see your face and remember why I am here. You inspired me to be where I am and I cannot wait to meet your family! Hopefully they will look for me and eat lunch with me or something! I miss you OH SO MUCH! and hope you are doing well. I love you and I hope to hear from you soon when you get a chance!

Thank you for being you,
Melissa