Friday, April 27, 2007

Where in the World is Leah?

What a good question this is! And so many answers...

I have been missing internet for the past month. I cant believe its been that long! Time is flying by and they have been keeping me busy. So, the end of CBT, how was it? It was great! So much happened... I rode in the back of a pickup to Caño Hondo for Semana Santa and swam in the pools there, then after went to the campo and ate fresh sugar cane, tamarindos, and other crazy fruits. It was awesome. The other volunteers and I painted a mural of the Rights of Childhood (pics to come at another point). It turned out beautiful. Oh yea, I found a kitten! Her name is Sabana (since I found her in Sabana de la Mar) She is beautiful! Shes only about amonth old, but is growing each day. She is calico coloring. Her head is black and white and her body and all mixed. At the end of CBT the families had a party for us... they brought in a dance troupe that danced for us all night and danced the tradition DR dance in the traditional dress... it was amazing and so beautiful! I cant remember what else happened in CBT right now... so jumping ahead to life in the past 2 weeks. I finally got my site placement! I am in a town outside of Santiago. Im in the north... 30mins from the airport (hint hint) and less than 2 hours from the beach. I went on a 5 day visit there last week... and its beautiful there. I wake up in the mornings, not because I want to, but because life there begins EARLY, and drink my coffee (which is basically home grown, dried, and roasted, and STRONG) looking out at the northern mountain range, specifically Pico Pablo, which is the second largest point in the DR. Im so close that I feel like if I stuck out my hand I could touch the mountains. Real quick about the coffe... its amazing and its so strong, that Dominicans only serve it in these tiny cups like a shot. They think Im crazy when I tell them in the states we drink large mugs of coffee. Back to my site... its called Los Cocos. I will be working in a school with 1700 students. Doing what... Im not sure. But behavior and classroom mangagement are the 2 most needed areas of help. But I have a great project partner who is really supportive. My family is awesome too... I cant understand a word they say becasue people in the north have crazy accents (all r´s and l´s and switched for i´s). I live with a Don and Doña and their 27 year old daughter and her son, and a grandson who is 20. And all the neighbors are relatives (nieces, aunts, children) so at any point in the day there are at least 10 people in the house. Its insane. So to rewind and get back to the question of where in the world is Leah... here is my new address: 4th dirt road on the right after the 2nd tobacco field and in front of the pig pen. Its the yellow house. Yea... Im going to become a farm girl. I think I have a bit of adjusting ahead of me... but Im not too scared.

other exciting news... IM A REAL LIVE VOLUNTEER NOW! We were sworn in on Wed. at a wonderful ceremony. It was fast. And no, I dont feel any different. However, like good volunteers, we spend out first official day of service swimming at the Embassy pool and touring the Capital. It was wonderful.

I head out officially to my site tomorrow... so Im not sure when the next time Ill be seeing internet is... but keep sending the messages... I love them!

A more organized post with pictures to come next....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We love hearing about your adventures and we are so proud of our granddaugter. However, maybe because we are so aged and decrepit we are glad you are having the adventure and not us.
Grandma Katrina

Aunt Mary said...

Hi Leah, I will send a letter to your new address at Fourth Dirt Road, etc. You made me laugh out loud! It is great reading your blog - you are having such a great time taking in all the sites, and sounds! and making it a part of you! So proud of you. I just now you won't have any trouble with the classroom or the kids. God bless. Love, Aunt Mary

KY said...

Congratulations, Leah. I cannot believe that so much time has already passed that you are an official PCV. Incredible. Your site sounds amazing, your family sounds interesting and full of lessons (every age range represented), and the school sounds challenging yet quite fitting for Ms. Leah who can do absolutely anything she wants. :) Love, miss and think about you all the time.