Saturday, February 24, 2007

Se Fue La Luz

Hello all!

The DR is soooo wonderful. I am loving it here! I am living with a family that consists of a Dona and her 2 daughters (Maite who is 8 and Marcel who is 6). I love my little sisters. Every day I come home from training and they greet me with big hugs and kisses and ask me to color with them. My Dona is awesome. She is always trying to feed me more. Im too skinny she says. The food is good... lots of rice and beans, yucca, and fruit.
As for training... its also going well! There are 33 in my training group and everyone is great. We come from all over the States with tons of different backgrounds. I have between 2-4 hours of language a day along with diversity training, technical training, or transportaion. Transportation... where to even being with that. Its nutty. You can take either a carro publico which is like a taxi or a Guagua which is a bus. Both fit more people than are supposed to be on it. But its fun and an adventure. My Spanish is coming along...little by little. Its kinda hard to listen to everyone speak here, they talk soooo fast and its a very different Spanish than what I learned in HS. They leave off the "s" at ends of words and use a lot of slang.
I am leaving next thursday to visit a SPED volunteer about 3 hours north of here for a few days. I am really looking forward to that. Then the following week Ill be at CBT (Community Based Training) where Ill learn all about the school system and acutally teach in a school during that time. Definitely looking forward to that.
I have to go run some errands and take the guagua... wish me luck!

More to come soon!

Love and miss you all!

Jonah... Ill be waiting for the block of ice and snowball. I could use something cold (its 92 and humid and its not even summer time!)

9 comments:

josephine said...

So great that you were finally able to post! Love you and miss you! But I am so excited for you. Love, Mom

KY said...

You are wonderful! Look at how great this is already. How perfect that you have two little sisters - of course they love you. So so pumped to hear more updates. I wish you the absolute best with training and Spanish and just EVERYTHING! Love you.

Candice said...

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your family! Sounds like you're doing a lot. Within no time you'll be comfortable with the language, I'm sure. Keep on posting!
--Candice

Unknown said...

glad to hear you're alive darlin! hope things keep getting better and better for you. i can't to try to come visit this summer!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that everything is great. Your call made Mom extra happy. Describe your neighborhood - what does the DR look like once you leave the training building and get home.Does it look like the picture on your friends blog. Does it remind you of Costa Rica? Later

jonah said...

ok I can't post pictures in your comments, so that leaves me no choice, here is the Hi Leah blog for anyone who wants to post photos or video. email me and I will give you a guest access,

http://hileah.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah!!! So good to hear from you :) I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear about all of your adventures! I went home last weekend and missed being able to meet you at Cosi's for smores and hot chocolate, but knowing that you are doing well makes me so happy!!! I miss you and look forward to your next post. Love, Liv xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey, Girlfriend! You little ones are missing your smile! We are thrilled that you are with a wonderful family and are enjoying your training program.
Once you have settled in, I think you will have a barrage of visitors needing their "Leah" fix in a bit of paradise!
Much Love,
Beth, Shawn, Blaine, Kadi, Luke,
and Daisy, of course!

Abby - Jo said...

Bird!! Today is 2/27 and it is the first time I have been to a computer to view your blog!!! You sound like you are doing wonderful.....Gosh I miss you dearly already! Just talking about everyday life and having you here to just call when I want - I miss!! But I am sooo happy you love your family.... I saw Haitti while on my cruise and thought about how close I was to the DR. I have been thinking of you alot! Write me an email whenever you can! I want a personal update :) Lots to tell you as well! Do you have constant internet access?!?!

Much love always - Abby "jo"